Pages

Tuesday 4 September 2012

Energizing Smoothie + Natural Sweeteners

I have a confession to make, I have a serious addiction.
Twice a day, minimum. 
The funny thing is I can't tell if its to smoothies or using my Vitamix :)




As I was cruising through my local Indigo today (and by 'cruising' I mean taking my 5 minutes to look at grown up books while Daddy plays with Zack) I spied a smoothie and juice recipe book boasting more then 100 recipes, and it was on sale! I quickly scanned the pages and noticed something awful.
Almost every recipe called for SUGAR! Plain ol' white sugar, or confectioners sugar. 
Even the smoothie that was simply orange juice and ice. I was completely shocked that someone would want to fill a nutritious and nutrient dense beverage with sugar.

I avoid most cane sugar for 2 reasons.

  1. Its just not healthy- it raises blood glucose levels, suppresses the immune system and is linked to obesity, diabetes, Alzheimer's, muscular and cardiovascular degeneration. 
  2. Most cane sugar processed in Canada and the United States is filtred with animal bone char. Every vegan chooses to draw their own line and for me I am not comfortable consuming this product. 
* Organic sugar is not processed in this manner


Here are some wonderful healthy natural ways to sweeten smoothies, cookies, juice or anything else that tickles your fancy.
  • Dates 
  • Agave Nectar
  • Pure Maple Syrup
  • Stevia
  • Apple Juice Concentrate
  • Coconut Palm Sugar
  • Xylitol
Here is one of my go to smoothie recipes sweetened with dates!

Energizing Green Smoothie

4 Dates 
2 Tbs Chia Seeds
1 Frozen Banana
2 inches Cucumber 
Large Handful Spinach
1/2 Cup Non Dairy Milk ( I used Raw Almond)

*Note: if you are using a standard blender pre soak your dates in some water 1 hour beforehand to allow for them to blend completely

Add ingredients in order to blender.  If using a high speed blender start on low and progress up to high for about 30 seconds, if using a standard blender blend on high for a minute or two until the mixture is smooth and creamy.

Makes one large serving. 
Don't forget to lick the spoon. 












No comments:

Post a Comment